1300 094 737



Contact us



Carers stories archive

Carers stories 2008


On this page we will keep you informed about animals that you have brought in to care with WIRES Northern Rivers branch. If you would like to know about a particular animal, please email us, and we will do what we can to keep you up to date.

December 2008

By Melanie Barsony

WIRES carer Kim from Ballina recently rescued a young Barn Owl chick who had a nasty break to his leg after falling from its nest hollow. Lennox Head vet and avian specialist Evan, x-rayed the leg and decided it was possible to pin it. So the little owl underwent a full anesthetic, the leg was opened to realign the bones, and a small pin was inserted. He awoke from the anesthetic ravenously hungry and has continued to feed well and gradually mend.

He is presently in care with Melanie, in a nest box that resembles the tree hollow he would have been used to.
The stitches have now been removed and the pin will be taken out next week. He continues to feed well and all is looking good for a full recovery.


November 2008

For Ross.

This little Swamp wallaby joey was cared for by WIRES macropod carer Bess, after he was orphaned early October from a car accident at Woodburn.

He was a tiny unfurred joey needing intensive care in a humidicrib at first, now 9 weeks later he is a furred little fellow, being very interactive with other joey's in care. He will spend many months in care yet before he is ready for life in the wild.

Thank you Ross for taking the time to rescue this little Swamp wallaby joey, without your intervention he would not have survived..





November 2008

By Lib Ruytenberg


Barbed wire entanglements can cause horrendous injuries to wildlife. A farmer took this black flying fox off his fence and brought her to a Kyogle vet. Her injuries were severe. She had a little baby clinging to her body. Mum had injuries to both wings and lacerations in her mouth from trying to chew the barbed wire to free herself from the fence. For a few weeks it was touch & go for Mum.

Despite antibiotics, pain relief and being syringe feed fruit smoothies, her condition seemed to worsen. Daily weighing of the pup indicated that Mum had stopped lactating. While laying Mum in my lap for her medication and feeding, I was able to take the pup off her teat yet leave it on her body and give the pup  supplementary feeding. Flying foxes are such intelligent creatures; she seemed to know what I was doing and allowed me to feed her baby. Mum’s condition started improving and within two weeks it was obvious that Mum had resumed lactation. Baby’s tummy seemed nicely rounded at every inspection and was putting on weight without supplementary feeds. Mum & baby will be in care until the release aviary program commences in February.


November 2008

By Lib Ruytenberg

Early in September, Rebecca of Evans Head called the WIRES hotline to report a young flying fox clinging to a fence post in a park near the bat colony. We don’t have bat carers in that locality however the 90 km round trip proved to be worth the eventual result. I was surprised to see this little grey headed flying fox clinging pitifully to the fence. Most flying foxes are born about October, but this one would have been born in June, completely out of season. Abbie (named after Rebecca’s daughter) was unable to fly because of a fractured radius. Arrangements were made to take Abbie to Currumbin Wildlife Hospital the following day to have the fracture pinned by their vet. This operation was feasible because the fracture was mid radius, and simple as opposed to compound. Abbie’s age was a helpful factor. The operation was a success and Abbie gained almost 50% body weight during the following two weeks. Abbie will be released early next year when the release aviary begins its annual operation.
Thanks to Rebecca who called WIRES, and to the Currumbin Wildlife Hospital.


November 2008

By Alicia Carter

Spring is breeding time for most birds, including the Tawny frogmouth. WIRES receive numerous chicks in to care such as these two. They will be released back to the wild when ready to fend for them selves. Tawny chicks are brought together whilst in care and raised with many others, this ensures that they do not become humanised, depending on each other to learn vital survival skills once released. If finding a chick orphaned, please call WIRES immediately.


November 2008

Chicks will often fall out of the nest, should you find a chick out of he nest please try to put it back, the parent bird will readily accept it's young back, the saying that the smell of humans will deter the parent bird from accepting the chick back, is not true, Birds are wonderful parents and will take their chicks back even after some time.

If you are unable to put the chick back in the nest, please call WIRES immediately.

This little Blue-Faced honey eater chick had been found at 7.30 in the morning, the person that found the chick did not call untill 3 in the afternoon, the chick had been sitting in a plant pot for that time. Needless to say the chick died the next morning due to starvation. Even with intensive care, when a chick has been without nourishment for that many hours it is not possible to save it. If you look how often chicks are fed by their parents during the day, you can understand how often it will need to be fed whilst in care. Leaving it for hours to see if the parent bird may come back will severely jeopardize it's survival. Please call WIRES for help immediately when finding young animals in distress.This chick could have been saved had it been brought in to care as soon as it was found.


October 2008

For Allan

This little Owlet-nightjar chick was found by Allan in farm machinery at Broadwater. Recent high winds are most likely the cause of this chicks misfortune. It will be in care for about 5 weeks,being raised by WIRES carer Alicia, then released back to the wild.


Owlet-nightjars are nocturnal hollow dwelling birds rarely seen

Thank you Allan for being vigilant, and rescuing this little one, it would most certainly not have survived on its own for very long.

October 2008

Being situated on the North Coast of NSW we do not have Red kangaroos, they are found much further inland. You can imagine our surprise when receiving this little fellow in to care. He had been picked up in Queensland by a caring couple finding his mother dead on the road.

After a week in care with WIRES, we located a wildlife care organisation close to where he had been found, and he was returned to his home territory, where he will spend many months in care, before being released back to the wild.

If finding a native animal in distress, please try to locate a wildlife care organisation close to where you found the animal, as all native animals must be returned to their home territory.


October 2008

For Rachel

This little Red-necked wallaby was not in a good way when Rachel and her daughter spotted her on the side of the road. They stopped, picked up the tiny animal and called WIRES.

Wobbly as Rachel's daughter named her was very dehydrated and thin having been alone for some time. Her condition was critical, and she was placed in to intensive care being treated for severe dehydration.

After 3 days she started to pick up, treatment for dehydration and special wallaby formula saw her once again interested in life, and after a further 3 days she was placed in a nursery pen for macropod's, where she met the other wallabies in care.

She has since thrived, and is now hopping out of her pouch after each feed exploring her environment and interaction with the other joey's in care.

Seen in these images 2 weeks after coming in to care, Wobbly in her pouch on the right.


October 2008

For Debbie

Thank you Debbie for stopping to check the pouch of a dead Bandicoot killed by a car.

Debbie stopped on her way home from a long distance drive, 5 tiny long Nosed Bandicoots now have a second chance at life. The small critters eyes not yet open, were all safe in mums pouch, now being reared by WIRES carer Alicia.

They will be released back to the wild in about 1 months time, when old enough to fend for themselves.

One seen here having a look at the big wide world 2 weeks after arriving in to care..


September 2008

For Truleigh & Jess

When Truleigh and Jess prepared going to a party, the last thing on their mind would have been the rescue of a tiny wallaby joey, it is however how their party plans turned out, as on their way they came across a dead wallaby on the road. They were traveling with another friend, and all three decided to stop and check the sex of the dead animal, just in case it was a female. It was indeed a female, and in the pouch a little joey was unharmed. They carefully removed the joey from the pouch and called WIRES.

WIRES would sincerely like to thank Truleigh, Jess and their friend, for driving all the way back to town leaving their party plans behind, ensuring the welfare of this little female Red-Necked wallaby joey.

She is in care with WIRES Macropod carer Katy, now growing up with other joey's of similar age, and will eventually when old enough to fend for herself be released back to the wild.

Seen in image on the right 4 weeks after arriving in to care, now settled and starting to hop out of her pouch to explore.

Image in above story "For Rachel" this little joey can be seen in the pouch on the far left.



For Paul

Paul acted fast when he came across this Mountain Brushtail possum having been hit by a car at Jiggi. WIRES carer Julie received the possum from Paul and it was obvious after examination that possum was in big trouble having sustained a broken jaw in the accident. As it turned out it was not just one possum in trouble this Mountain Brushtail was a female with a joey in her pouch. Julie examined the tiny joey although mum did not approve Julie needed to know if the joey had been injured, fortunately the little male joey was fine, and his only objection to the whole thing was being out of mums pouch, so he was quickly allowed back in.

Possum was taken by Julie to Lismore Vet clinic the following morning, where veterinarian Richard Creed operated on possums jaw. Possum was then back in Julies care.

For a few days possum mum was very sore, unable to eat her normal foliage, so Julie accommodated her with soft foods which she could easily eat. As possum recovered she was taken from a small enclosure to larger accommodation able to move and do what possums do naturally exercising and eating foliage during the night hours.

Little possum joey stayed in mums pouch and over the next 6 weeks grew fast. Possum was taken back to Lismore Vet clinic for a final check up, and it was all systems go for release.

They are seen here just before being released back to the territory where they were found, now having been supplied a possum drey to call their own.

Thank you Paul for rescuing this possum and her joey, and thank you Richard for operating on mum possum



September 2008

By Judith Reynolds WIRES rescuer and carer

Thank you to Byron Bay police

I was called by the WIRES emergency hotline to look at a wallaby that was laying still with drooping head, poor little darling, it was laying down on the bank of the canal when i arrived, the Bush Regeneration Team crew that looks after the 45 acre forest at Byron Resort found him, they were so nice. While attempting to put a blanket from behind over the wallaby so to assess his condition he jumped up and went into the canal, rather swamp! He just sat there in the water, leaning his head against the tall rushes, he was exhausted. I got everyone to leave so he would settle down with just my presence and after a little while, with waders on I took the blanket into the water with me and without any problems covered the wallaby , I wrapped it around him and dragged him up onto the bank, with the wet blanket he was so heavy I fell over while pulling him up. He was very weak. I rang the Byron Police to help me euthanase him, he was beyond help, his stomach swollen and hard, all muscles collapsed, Myopathy had set in. After settling and going over him for any signs of injury etc I waited with him till the police arrived. It took two shots, I kept my hands on him till his heart stopped. The Land care crew took him out into the forest and put him under a big paper bark tree. The day before staff had seen two local dogs chasing the wallaby wildly thru the forest, I believe he had internal injuries from trying to escape.

By keeping dogs contained from dusk till dawn this need never have happened.

August 2008

By Alicia Carter WIRES rescuer and carer

for Guy and Isi

This Top Knot Pigeon was rescued from the Rosebank Fire Shed.  This tree top dweller came to grief when it got a little to close to the road.  The pigeon had major swelling of its elbow joint and was thankfully rescued by Isi and Guy.  After three weeks in care and lots of fresh berries, this endangered pigeon was release and reunited with its parents and their flock.



August 2008

By Melanie Barsony WIRES rescuer and carer

Tree loppers in Casino were removing a large, partly dead gum tree when they discovered a nest with two newly hatched chicks inside. They carefully cut the branch containing the nest and the homeowners, Joan and Daryl, called WIRES.

They are magpie chicks, but unfortunately the parents were scared away and have abandoned the nest.The nest has been built firmly in a bushy fork of the tree and would have survived even the strongest winds. It is woven with grasses, sticks and even string and green whipper snipper cord.

The chicks are now being hand raised and have a good chance of survival.

Seen in 3rd image 1 week after coming in to care, both thriving in care.



August 2008

Wildlife Rescue At Evans Head
WIRES recently received a call from Evans Head for an injured female Squirrel glider with two small babies on board. It was suspected that the three had been scooped up by a raptor then dropped. Fortunately the adult female’s injuries were not serious and the threesome was taken into care. However, probably from the stress of the event, the mother squirrel glider stopped lactating and she abandoned her babies while they were still too young to survive alone. The two young, one male and one female, had to be quickly placed in a warmed environment and be regularly fed with special wildlife milk formula to maximise their chances of survival. The mother glider was transferred to a rehabilitation aviary and will soon be released.
After going through a critical period, to our relief the two young began to stabilise, then gain weight and are now thriving in care. Each of the young weighs just over 30 grams and laps warmed formula from a small dish every three hours. They spend the time between meal breaks curled up together, asleep.
As you can imagine, they are the most delightful creatures to care for.  Eventually they will be weaned onto their natural diet of insects, blossom and nectar and will be released.
Squirrel gliders are classified as a vulnerable species, so WIRES members feel especially triumphant when we rehabilitate and release any which come into care.


August 2008

By Sue Ulyatt WIRES rescuer and carer

For Maxeen


Thank you Maxeen for calling WIRES with this little joey.

Maxeen found this juvenile Red-necked wallaby joey approximately 8 months old, swimming/drowning in her dam at Georgica.

A small boat was launched and after a few attempts the joey was rescued from the water and WIRES was contacted.

Katrina, a WIRES macropod carer received the joey in to care, and he was over the next 3 days treated for Myopathy, he responded well, and have since thrived in care.

He is seen here 4 weeks after his ordeal, now interacting well with other wallabies in care, enjoying his life in the safety of his enclosure untill such time as he is old enough to fend for himself. He will be in care for approximately 7 months. Many questions came to mind when this joey came in, he was very thin, and obviously had been alone for some time, he knew how to drink from a bottle, and did not seem frightened by people, in fact he was extremely friendly. This can mean a number of things, usually when a wild animal is friendly it means that it is very sick or injured, but in this case apart from obviously being exhausted from trying to keep his head above the water, and being undernourished, he suffered no other injuries. We are fairly certain that this animal has been hand raised, and either escaped or who ever raised him did not realise how long a wallaby such as this would need to be in care and receive formula in order to grow and develop.

Once again we are reminded of how important it is to know what you are doing when you have the responsibility of a small animal like this. PLEASE if you find an orphaned joey, call WIRES and let us bring it in to care. If you wish to help, join us, become a member, get the training needed and this way you can be assured of raising an animal fit for the wild when it is ready for release.

Once again thank you Maxeen, without your vigilance and quick thinking this animal would not have survived.


June 2008

For Jack

Jack found this Barn Owl chick at the bottom of a large tree with other chicks still in the nest hollow. It was very weak and underweight, but after feeding up on mice for 12 days, it left the substitute nest and was flying well. It was returned to Jacks property at Rock Valley.

Thank you Jack for calling WIRES, and for your generous donation helping us to carry on WIRES work..


April 2008

Thank you once again to our local police for being vigilant and caring, you saved this animal from prolonged pain and suffering.

This Echidna was found by the Police, on her back next to the Pacific Hwy near Teven.
Her snout was badly broken in several places. This animal would be in extreme pain, in need of pain relief and veterinary intervention as soon as possible. The only way to ascertain how bad the injury is, is to have the animal x-rayed. This particular animal was taken to Currumbin Wildlife Hospital where she was X-rayed and consequently euthanased due to the severity of the

broken snout. This Echidna was also a lactating female and had left a puggle behind. Her abdomen showed signs of use by licking and the hairs were all finely groomed. The mammary patch was indeed in use. With no chance of finding the puggle we only hoped it was at dispersing stage ( this is the time they disperse-although we have found this varies from area to area) and could survive on its own. The police were notified and were keen to keep an eye out for any small echidna found wandering in the vicinity of where the Mum was found.
A sad story, we were able to end the suffering of this animal that could have survived for weeks, in severe pain, slowly starving to death as it was not able to eat with the broken snout.

Echidnas that have been injured by cars, dog attacks etc etc MUST be taken to a veterinary clinic and X-rayed, it is impossible to examine these animals properly without X-ray as you can not feel broken bones as in other animals due to the spines. Echidnas do however have a skeleton just like any other animal, and bones break just as easy in this species as in any other, difference is, we can not feel or see it without X-ray.

They may look just fine, move normally, as they will not show their injury. An injured animal knows it is in big trouble, and as such will hide their pain, trying to fool predators.



April 2008

For Belinda


Thank you Belinda for calling WIRES when finding these very young Eastern Rosella Chicks in big trouble out of their nest. Unfortunately they were not able to be reunited with their parents, so was taken in to care with WIRES bird rehabilitator Kim at Ballina.

They were a mere 5 days old on arrival in to care, eyes still closed, and no feathers as yet.

Seen in image on left at 10 days old, starting to open their eyes, and starting to grow some feathers.


Image on right now 2 weeks old and starting to look like an Eastern Rosella.


Image on left now fully feathered, and ready for flight.

They will be released back to the wild when ready to fend for themselves shortly.


Thank you Belinda for giving these beautiful birds a second chance at life by calling WIRES.



April 2008


Last December, this young duck followed Lucinda home from a small dam in Casino, walked into her apartment and happily hopped up onto her bed. He had obviously been hand reared, then for some inexplicable reason, all the feathers on one wing were cut short. 

Shortly after he was taken in to care by WIRES.

He was buddied with a domestic Saxony duck and soon learnt how to be a duck, though he will need to stay in care until he moults and new flight feathers grow (otherwise he will be a sitting duck for any fox or predator that tries to eat him).


He is now in an aviary with three young ducks- one Pacific Black, one Plumed Whistling Duck and one Wood Duck. We are hoping he will pair up with the Wood duck and they will eventually be released together. 



February 2008

WIRES received a call from Louise at Casino Vet Clinic to let us know that a member of the public had seen Red-bellied black snake with its head caught in a Wild Turkey drink can. 

It was quickly rescued and after receiving advice from Michael, Lib and Melanie proceeded with the delicate task of removing the can. Lib held the snake while Melanie cut the bottom off the can to establish how much of the snake was inside. Luckily it was a large snake and only its head was trapped, thus reducing its movement. The can was then carefully removed a piece at a time. Its head and neck were very swollen and bruised, so it was taken to Michael for assessment, then on to Tony our venomous snake rehabber.


This snake would have suffered a slow and painful death had it not been rescued, and is yet another reminder of why we should not thoughtlessly litter.

To read more on how rubbish may affect our wildlife click here.  


Red-bellied black snake has recovered, and is seen here being released back to the wild.





For Mardy and Pauline

WIRES received in to care 12 Pacific Black ducklings from 2 separate rescues in 2 days.

The first 6 ducklings were found by Pauline at Casino, who noticed mother duck and 6 ducklings in her yard behind the high fence and unable to get out. She locked up her dog and opened the gate but mum flew off. It was dark and luckily she and her daughter were able to catch all little ducklings. Mother duck did not come back.
The next 6 ducklings were found the next day a few blocks away. They were found by Mardy, all on their own with no mum and calling desperately. She caught 2 and the elderly man across the road was able to catch the other 4 when they ended up in his yard.

Every year we have ducklings in trouble in this part of town as the mother ducks must nest near the river bank then once the ducklings hatch make their way through the edge of town and across a busy road to the wetlands. Making their way through the maze of fenced yards, cars and dogs must be a terrifying ordeal.

Another ducking was found some time after the others, most likely from the same batch of Ducklings, it unfortunately died overnight. Ducks do not do very well on their own, they need others of their own kind to thrive. If finding native ducks orphaned, please call WIRES immediately, do not put them in water and do not try to raise them yourself.

. Thank you Mardy and Pauline for calling WIRES.



Ducklings have grown up, seen here just before being taken to release site..


Not all ducklings need to come in to care, many can be reunited with mum, as in this case:

Lifeline in Byron Bay called WIRES carer Judith that 10 ducklings were near Woolworth's at Byron Bay. As you

can imagine this is a very busy place, and certainly not a place for tiny ducklings. Judith preformed a pied piper feat, after fending off tourists and other various spectators, contained all 10 ducklings in a basket, mum landed and followed her and the basket slowly thru the streets, after about 2 or so hours, Judith lead them down to a creek and they promptly jumped in and were all successfully reunited.


For Stuart


Thank you Stuart for calling WIRES, the little wallaby joey is a Red-Necked wallaby. She does not have any injuries as such but was of course in shock due to the car accident.

She is approximately five and a half months old and will be in care for about 8 months, being cared for with a number of other joey's of similar stage of development. Being in the company of other wallabies throughout her time in care ensures that she will not become humanized, her needs are met, but her instinct will stay wild, and she is not lonely.


UPDATE: March 2008



Our little orphan is now starting to feel secure in her new environment, seen here having a stretch out of her pouch.

She is now in an outside enclosure, with other joey's of similar stage of development.

Her substitute pouch is her security, and she spends her time mainly within her pouch, looking at the world, learning what she needs to know from other joey's in care. As carers we can teach them little, we can ensure correct diet, housing and care, but only other Macropod's can teach them what is acceptable, such as behavior and interaction in their world.

UPDATE: July 2008

Our little joey is growing up, now choosing not to have contact with her carer apart from when a bottle is offered it is taken at arms length, then she hops off again and looks back to ensure she is not to close. She has bonded strongly with a male same stage of development and they will be released together when he time comes.


UPDATE: September 2008

Joey was soft released in September with her friend, they came and went from the enclosure for a few weeks, and is now comfortable on their own, enjoying their freedom.







February 2008

Black-Stripe wallaby


Thank you to Kyogle police for calling WIRES when a member of the public brought in this little orphaned wallaby joey.

This little joey is a Black-Striped wallaby, now listed as a threatened species.

Interesting fact is that in just 14 years this species has gone from abundant and common to now being a threatened species, all due to human activity, such as land clearing and shooting.

This little orphan will be in care for many months then released back in the area he was found. Unfortunately only very few pockets of land is now left where this species still exist.



Our little orphan is growing up, seen here 9 weeks after arrival in to care, now at ease with other joey's in care.

Black Stripe will be taken back to Malanganee where this specie is still found, when old enough to fend for himself.



UPDATE August 2008

Black-Stripe wallaby was successfully released at Malanganee mid August.

Seen in these images shortly before release.

WIRES NR would like to thank Kyogle NPWS for their assistance with finding suitable release location for this animal.





January 2008

For Evan

Thank you Evan for calling WIRES, this little Mountain Brushtail possum is doing fine in care with WIRES, she will shortly be in the company of another Mountain Brushtail female, the same age as her.They will grow up together and be released in time back to the wild.





For Diane and Steve

Floods can be devastating for our native wildlife.

This 4 months old Platypus is a victim of recent floods in Northern NSW. She was found on the banks of a river curled up in to a little ball by Diane and Steve going for a walk early in the morning on their property. They called WIRES immediately and this little Platypus was brought in to care.

She would still be dependant on her Mum for quite some time yet, learning to eat solid food whilst still suckling from her mum.

She does not have any injuries, but is very debilitated due to most likely having been washed out of her burrow by the flood waters when the river rose, this may have been some time ago and since then she would have tried to feed by herself, but needing the nutrient from mum, she became debilitated.

We hope in time to release her back on Diane and Steve's property as long as all goes well for our little orphan.

UPDATE: Platypus did not survive, she died 3 weeks after arrival, due to an infection picked up from the flood waters when she was orphaned..

For Nan & Hugh

Seeing a dead marsupial on the road whilst driving, should make anyone stop and check if it is a female and if so does she have a live joey in the pouch. Nan and Hugh did just that, and rescued a very young Red-Legged Pademelon joey very much alive in his dead mum's pouch. Mum had been hit by a motor vehicle some time during the night, whoever hit mum did not bother to stop. The tiny joey was going cold, life slowly slipping away. Thanks to Nan and Hugh that stopped, retrieved the joey from mums pouch, also gave the little joey warmth, and called WIRES immediately, this little fellow now has a second chance at life.

He was only 111 gram when he arrived, had only just opened his eyes, no fur yet, certainly an intensive care case.

The Red-Legged Pademelon is listed as an endangered species.


He was taken in to care by WIRES intensive care specialist Leoni, where he is fed every two and half hours around the clock untill such time as he is out of the danger zone, being so tiny he is still an immature animal, would be attached and feeding from mums teat on a constant basis.


Seen in images above 2 weeks after arrival in to care, now 161 gram. Still extremely young, and intensive care is still needed for some time yet.


March 2008

Our little orphan is growing up, now in an outside enclosure, spending the day still in his pouch, very interested in the world around him, watching other wallabies in care.

Seen here having his bottle.


April 2008


Pademelon is now spending much time out of his pouch, eating solids, interacting with other wallabies in care.



UPDATE July 2008

Our little Red-legged Pademelon was released in late July 2008 on Nan and Hugh's property very close to where he had been rescued back in February.. He is seen in this image about 1 months before his release.




For Sally

Sally has watched this Mountain Brushtail possum for some time, enjoying seeing him come and go, living in the bush she is lucky to have animals such as this living in close proximity.

When she saw he had been injured, she called WIRES for help. Katy and Rick both experienced WIRES carers, arrived to see the possum sheltering on a beam of Sally's verandah, and after discussion on how best to get him down, Katy and Rick eventually managed to catch him even though he was not all that agreeable to being taken in to care.

He was taken to Billynudgel vet clinic, where he was treated for extensive injuries to his lower back and tail. How he had been injured we will most likely never know, but the most likely cause is he had been in a fight with another possum.

He was taken in to care by Sue, put on antibiotics for 7 days, and now after 10 days in care his wounds are looking better, he will still be in care for some time, then taken back to Sally's property, where he will be given his very own possum box to call home.

Mountain Brushtail possums are extremely territorial, as habitat shrinks these animals fight for trees with hollows, roof cavity or anything else remotely looking like what used to be easy to find in the Australian landscape, an old hollow tree.

Thank you Sally for reacting, and for being willing to help this possum on his return back home.

UPDATE: Unfortunately possum had to euthanased due to a secondary infection 15 days after first arriving in to care.


For Cathy

These two little orphaned Ringtail possums were called in to WIRES emergency hotline after mum had been attacked and killed by a cat.

The two little orphans were cared for initially by WIRES carer Christina, and when they were big enough for a large aviary they were transferred to WIRES carer Alison.

They are now almost ready to be soft released and return to their life in the wild.

Thank you Cathy for caring, and calling WIRES.


.For Amanda & Mel

By Melanie Barsony

Recent rain caused a large tree to fall over in Broadwater which unfortunately contained a nest hollow with three Kookaburra hatchlings inside. Amanda and Mel discovered two dead chicks and one survivor, and called WIRES. The naked chick had its' eyes still closed and was approximately 4-5 days old.
He is growing well and after one week his eyes are beginning to open and the spiky pin feathers are sprouting. He feels safe in his substitute nest box and is being fed every hour or so during the day.

Kookaburra chicks develop a pecking order within the nest as soon as they hatch and can be very aggressive when hungry. They make a loud high pitched grumbling noise almost constantly during the day. Thanks to Bess who rescued him, and to Lib who took over phone roster so Bess could meet me. I have nicknamed him "Chicken" for obvious reasons!





Kookaburra named Chicken, seen here all grown up, just before release learning how to catch food, and then on the right finally released back to the wild.


UPDATE March 2008

Kookaburra is now self feeding as seen in this image. He is back in the bush, doing what comes naturally when you are a Kookaburra, seen here eating a frog.



.By Lib Ruytenberg

Images by Jurgen Freund

Tolga Bat Hospital Visit

Over the Christmas period, I took a 9 day bat holiday at the Tolga Bat Hospital in the Atherton Tablelands near Cairns. There were 400 spectacled flying foxes in care, most affected by tick paralysis. Spectacled flying foxes are only found in North Queensland, so it was a novelty to work with this different species. It was hard work from first light until bed-time every day, but very interesting working with other experienced bat carers. Caring for that large number of bats is a huge operation, and different strategies have to be used to manage it all. Tasks included cleaning aviary floors, putting milk out for the orphans, replenishing water (fresh and salt), and before dark we had to put up the night time food of apples, watermelon, banana, banana smoothy and occasionally mulberry leaves. We also had to treat injuries, as well as weigh and measure the bats, recording details according to their microchip numbers.




Updated March 2021  

Webmaster: Susanne Ulyatt

© WIRES Northern Rivers 2004-2021